Space Is the Place

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Thoughts so far...

Hello,

First, I'd like to thank the person who left the first comment. It felt very good to read it...There are certainly gaps in my Sun Ra discography, and if any loyal listeners out there want to fill the gaps, please by all means leave a comment under the most recent post or email me at mason.akhnaten@gmail.com. Feel free to post bootlegs as well, as I will be doing this too.

My second comment was one based on confusion due to a posted album cover....
Sun Ra's releases are scattered...The discography is highly confusing...It makes it even worse when CD releases couple two albums, like 'The Nubians of Plutonia' with 'Angels and Demons at Play.'

My goal of this blog is an attempt at chronologically presenting Sun Ra's recordings. I base this on recording date, not on release date. This further complicates things as many albums may showcase a decade of recording...

Should I continue to post potentially misleading album covers? If I do post them, should I explain that there is no way of me verifying exactly which release it came from (Saturn/Impulse/etc). All the artwork I have posted so far may or may not reflect the release being posted.
With no way to verify exactly what album release my MP3s come from, should I continue posting images that reflect only the album and not necessarily the particular release?

Please comment, as I want to avoid confusion. If you do comment, please explain the best way for me to avoid confusion (ie, placing more info under individual posts, writing info in the sidebar, etc.).

Help me with my intergalactic research. Help me share Sun Ra.

6 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Blogger marxbert said...

note: heretofore, i've been using the covers that i like best--purely subjective aesthetic decisions...

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mercy, didn't even know that you also ran a Sun Ra blog as well, wow...you're definately doing your all to promote good interesting music : I hereby give you the Saint hood.

The two most sought after albums of Sun Ra for me would be "Strange Strings" and "The Magic City". Hope you have those two, as I know you wrote about posting the albums in chronological order, I shall wait (with fingers crossed).

As far as the album covers, I wouldn't worry too much about it. There's always going to be a certain amount of confusion. The vast majority who will come across this blog will be so very appreciative as to not get overly pedantic about things as album covers (I would hope they wouldn't, at least).

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Jerry Brabenec said...

Thanks so much for all the Sun Ra. I look forward to learning a lot from these postings.

 
At 3:57 AM, Blogger marxbert said...

Yep, you'll see 'em...

'66 for Strange Strings...of course you know that the band is playing with Japanese instruments?...

And The Magic City in '65...

both good choices! strange strings has not come out in CD, to my knowledge...

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Stu said...

on "Strange Strings" i think the band are playing toy instruments that Herman picked up in the area before handing them to the band and hitting record on the old tape deck,i have the reissue on vinyl and learning to rip my records is in the list of things i am always about to do, hopefully soon.

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The account I've read is that (on "Strange Strings") it's various (random) string instruments (including some Asian oriented ones) passed out to band members who didn't know how to actually play them (in order to achieve a type of naivete). Either way...I can't wait to hear the album!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home